Last Two Days

Friday 3 June 2011 – our last day

We have thoroughly enjoyed our last few days with Janet, Adrian and Ella.  On Thursday night, we took some photos of the three of them – see gallery – and then went out to dinner at the Novello Pub on the A4.  We all enjoyed our meal and reminiscing about the last few weeks together.

Today, we packed in the morning and then in the afternoon, Janet took us down to the Thames River and we took Ella for a walk in her pram, along to Boulters Lock.  We continued along the River path for some way, enjoying the scenery including watching the ducks, ducklings, geese and goslings playing in the river.  We sat and had an ice-cream and watched the boats going through the lock.  It was a beautiful, sunny day and quite hot.

All too soon it was time to say our sad farewells and for Adrian to drive us to the airport.  Our flight was due to leave Heathrow shortly after 10.00pm and so we left Maidenhead just after 7.00pm.  Saying goodbye is always sad because we enjoy spending time with Janet and Adrian, but this time it was even harder because we did not want to be leaving our beautiful new grand-daughter, Ella, there.  The only thing that kept us from falling apart was that we knew that Katharine, Steve and Eenie were looking forward to our return and we had missed them all while we were away!


Sunday 5 June, 2011 – Home

Our Singapore Airlines flight from London to Singapore on the A380 top deck in two seats of the 2-4-2 configuration, was comfortable and we were well looked after by the cabin crew, but as always, the 13 hr flight is very long!!  We had a bit over 3 hours at Changi Airport and then boarded our A330-300 flight bound for Brisbane.  We arrived at Brisbane International terminal at approximately 6.20am, which was half an hour early, and we had absolutely no queues at Immigration,  went straight through to collect our luggage and straight through Customs as well.  Katharine picked us up and brought us home, where she had organised a lovely morning tea for us and we were joined by Steve and Eenie.  At 4.30pm Katharine and Steve drove us over to Capalaba to collect Meika, our much loved and spoilt pussy cat.  The four of us had dinner together – lovely soup that Eenie had made for us – just after 6.00pm Katharine and Steve headed off to church and we went to bed!!

We have thoroughly enjoyed our almost-9 weeks with Janet and Adrian and feel honoured that they invited us to share in such an exciting time in their lives – the birth of their beautiful daughter, Ella.  We feel blessed that we were able to meet our new grand-daughter, Ella minutes after she was born and to share in the first 7 weeks of her life.  It was wonderful that Katharine was able to come and spend some time with her new niece and we still find it incredible that we were able to keep Eenie’s visit a surprise.

As well as the mundane things like washing, ironing, cooking etc, we did get to see some more of England (the Witterings, Chichester, Brighton, Bletchley Park, Blenheim Palace and Leeds Castle) and also the south coast of Wales.

The two of us are looking forward to plotting and planning our next overseas adventure together.


Leave a Reply