Thursday 5 May & Friday 6 May Brisbane to Singapore

Our holiday started with a Singapore Airlines flight on an A330-300 from Brisbane to Singapore. It all felt quite similar to previous trips apart from the timing of our flight, which was at 11.55pm. We had a good flight and we both managed to have 4 hours’ sleep.

We arrived at Changi Airport, Singapore at 6.00am and although we have transited Singapore on many occasions when travelling to the UK and Europe, this is the first time that we are having a stopover, so it was interesting, but easy, to find our way to Immigration and Customs and the baggage area, all in a different terminal to the one we arrived in. We were met by a limousine driver on behalf of World Express, who will be looking after us while we are in Singapore. He took us to our hotel, the Singapore Fairmont, where we checked in. Our corner suite is on the 15th floor and it has two separate balconies, which give us almost 270° views. We freshened up and were heading back out the door to explore Singapore by 8.15 a.m.

As we walked down to Marina Bay, we were impressed with the flowers and the greenery all through the city. We enjoyed looking at various buildings along the way, especially the Marina Bay Sands Hotel, which has three towers with a large boat-like structure connecting all three at the top. We walked over the Helix Bridge and got some great views of Marina Bay, with the city in the background. Although this wasn’t a terribly long walk, we were starting to struggle as by this time, it was well over 30° and it felt like 100% humidity.

When we first arrived in Singapore it was foggy/misty/hazy but it looked as thought it was starting to clear, so we decided to go for a ride on the Singapore Flyer, which is the world’s largest observation wheel outside of the United States. Standing at 165m from the ground, the Flyer gave us beautiful, panoramic views of the Marina Bay, the city and beyond. We were lucky to have the large air-conditioned capsule all to ourselves, so we could walk around, taking photos from whatever angle we wanted to.

After our half hour ride, we had an interesting taxi ride, which was supposed to take us a short distance to the harbourside, to catch a cable car to Sentosa Island. Somehow our English and the driver’s English didn’t quite match up and we finished up at the cable car ON Sentosa Island. This would have been annoying apart from the fact that the taxi ride only cost us $15, which included our entrance fee to Sentosa Island. Eventually, we enjoyed our Cable Car ride from Sentosa to Faber Peak and then returned to the Harbourside Cable Car Station. Once again we were fortunate to have the gondola all to ourselves, so we got uninterrupted 360° degree views. The ride took us over a scenic highway and above the harbour and from our high vantage point, we looked down on a large cruise ship coming into the port.

We returned to the hotel for lunch and a short break before heading out again to the famous Raffles Hotel, which is just across the road from our hotel and takes up a full block. Raffles is the home of the Singapore Sling: “The historic Long Bar is the place to sit and sip on the world famous pink cocktail, created in 1915 by Bar Captain Ngiam Tong Boom. The Long Bar was a rendezvous point for rubber and oil palm plantation owners from Mayala. As part of tradition, guests are welcome to toss peanut shells on the floor.”

We sat at The Long Bar and enjoyed our Singapore Sling and Virgin Sling, while we ate raw peanuts, tossing the shells on the floor as is the tradition. On our way back to the hotel, we made a short detour to check out the views from the 70th floor of the Equinox building. By this stage of the afternoon, it was quite overcast and threatening to rain, so we came back to the hotel to write up our blog and sort our photos before heading out again this evening.

Leave a Reply