Wednesday 14 June Tokyo to Brisbane

We woke to another overcast and drizzly day. After a leisurely last breakfast in our luxurious hotel, we finished our packing, checked out of the hotel and made our way to the Main Lobby. Our transfer to the airport was in a luxury 7-seater Japanese vehicle with a cheerful, knowledgeable Japanese driver, Miyashita, who pointed out various landmarks, slowing down for photo opportunities where he could. We travelled past the Tokyo Tower, over the Rainbow Bridge where we could see the Tokyo Port and Harbour and onto one of many freeways, passing Disneyland to Narita Airport, which took about an hour.
When we entered the Narita Airport and found the Singapore Airlines check-in area, we were greeted by a charming young lady who printed our baggage labels all the way through to Brisbane and we then took our suitcases to the check-in counter where they also printed our boarding passes for the two flights.
We found Narita International Airport to be as large as we thought it would be, but nowhere near as crowded as we had anticipated. We cleared Immigration and Security and had a leisurely 20 minute walk to our gate. Fortunately located in close proximity to our gate was a café where we were able to get some lunch and a drink.
At approximately 1.45pm, we boarded the aircraft, a Boeing 777-300, for our 2.45pm flight. We were lucky enough to have 3 seats for the two of us for the 7hours 15minute flight to Singapore. The flight was comfortable, although Sandy’s in-flight entertainment system wasn’t working, which wasn’t a problem as she was happy to read her book. We arrived in Singapore at approximately 9.00pm (Singapore time) and made our way to the Ambassador’s Transit Lounge that we had been given free entry to and enjoyed a snack, a cuppa and a relaxing armchair for a couple of hours.
Originally our next flight was departing from Gate B3, which is in the centre of the airport complex, but on checking the flight details after the gate hadn’t opened when we thought it should have, we discovered that our gate had been changed to the furthest end of the terminal, which meant a brisk walk to the gate.
Our flight boarded at 12.15am for our departure at 12.45am on an Airbus A330 to Brisbane. By this time of the morning we were quite exhausted, so decided not to have a midnight snack and opted to have a sleep. We managed to sleep on and off for a total of almost 5 hours, which was unusual for us both.
Our flight touched down in Brisbane on Wednesday 15 June at 10.15am, about 15 minutes early and we were surprised to discover that we were the only flight being processed through Immigration and Customs at that time, so the process was very quick. We came out into the Arrivals Hall not expecting to see anyone there to pick us up as everyone was at work but we were delighted to see Steve’s Dad, Don (who is now retired) and our gorgeous little Henry there waiting for us. Henry came running with a smile from ear-to-ear and threw himself into our arms for big cuddles!

Leave a Reply